Monday, August 20, 2007

Editing Process for the Age of Terees (2000-2499)

To those looking to be Shadow Guards or Age of Terees Sages or just intent on writing a lot in the early third millennium and to all others who blunder into this blog meaning to or not, greetings.

I shall attempt to make this brief, but feel I may fail miserably in that regard, as I wish to be thorough.
Here is the official word on the types of stories we will focus on:
Sword and Sorcery – first half of 3rd millennium; Terees's Age or the Age of Discovery

This age will have themes of explorer’s discovering new and different parts of Mernac. Stories will tend to be more action packed and blood and guts than High fantasy. Many of the cultures discovered will have somewhat amoral protagonists who are often more interested in instant gratification, adventure and self interests than cosmic justice or Karma. Think Conan the Barbarian. Stories in this age will tend to concentrate more on fast moving action and adventure than overly developed society, philosophical or physiological aspect. ‘Man Vs. the Environment’ and ‘Man Vs. Man’ conflicts are welcome, however, ‘Man Vs. Himself’ themes are likely more suited to other ages. Stories filled with battles, fights, chases, rescues, explorations, quests for riches (opposed to quests for divine/magic items) will find a home here. Main character will tend to be non magic users who conquer or defeat there for with sheer brute force and strength (with the help of the obligatory ‘magic item of xxx’ of course . Unlike traditional Sword and Sorcery this age will also have a secondary focus on exploration and nautical themes.

Am I going to hold you to that definition? Goodness, no. I'm not even sure what half that all means. Just strive for action, adventure, and exciting discoveries. Side notes: While blood and guts will most definitely be spilled during such stories, please try to keep it tasteful. People might read these stories at lunchtime or something. Sexual content must be PG-13 to pass my personal approval. For that sort of story, you'll need to see Father Quont and offer him your tales. Look, that doesn't mean the deed can't be mentioned at all; you just have to be tactful about your descriptions. Same goes for foul language. Make up a euphemism or use the language tastefully. By that, I mean it must make a point, if I have to read a curse every four lines I'm dropping your story like those nasty smelling tumba guts.

Disciples and Sages receive first attention, and they alone can command my limited proofing time, and as such, I expect reciprocation. If we get to be too many, we'll set up a rotating system of critiques. For quality control, one in-depth critique is an absolute must, but 2-3 are more realistic. If you want to join the Shadow Guard, send me a PM if you have 4 pictures accepted to the site or have scribe status. I'll define those things better in a different post.

My critiquing style: First thing to note about my style, it is rather stringent. Passive voice, pretty much the bane of my existence, plagues most people's writing. There are indeed times to use it. Second thing to note, I am thorough. Like my dear brother, Quont, I will look for grammar, flow (readability), spelling, and other elements of writing mechanics, as well as the suitability for the Age and the fantasy world of Mernac.

My main goal, besides producing quality fantasy stories, will be to improve writing skills, my own and others. Let's face it, people, our "perfect" stories can always use a good overhaul. Writers have huge blind spots when it comes to their work. Don't even get me started on the actual published poo that slips through the cracks of cracked editors heads. I love editors, but I can think of many a book that should have his the slag pile and kept on sinking.









No comments: